Monday, June 11, 2012

Outlets for Store Brands?

Since my blog is my musings, I thought of taking the liberty to write top of the mind stuff....so while analyzing a case yesterday, I began to think of multi brand apparel retailers in india. Frankly, at the moment I can't think of many, except that most brands would have a full price format as well as an outlet format.


So, while India is constantly discussing multi brand retail and FDI etc., I am thinking is there a precedent of multiple formats for apparel by the same retailer and for similar merchandise. I mean you could have a separate format for plus size clothing etc. but would you not liquidate your out of season merchandise through different formats - especially the large format department stores? So what are the trade offs in this. My professor was discussing that the brand would be liquidated but I say if Nike can have a Nike discount store and all premium brands have outlets then why not store brands? Is India ready for store brands outlets or is it just a figment of my creativity?

No comments: