Friday, December 28, 2007

Books on Retail Management

I have been teaching at various B Schools as adjunct faculty for more than 3 years now. The process has evoked mixed feelings and thoughts. While its wonderful to see so many students prepare themselves - mostly,for the corporate world, the gaps in education strike me as glaring. More on that later....

Because I teach Retail management, I have had the opportunity to read many a text book in this time, and some books have been as good as to inspire me to write a text book myself.

Amongst the Indian books I find, Swapna Pradhan's book - Retail Management - text and cases, holds a lot of information in the Indian context.

ANd then, IIM-A Prof Piyush Kumar Sinha's and Prof D P Uniyal's co-authored book titled ‘Managing Retailing’ is very insightful and contextual for Indian students. The approach taken in this book is especially worth mentioning, because it is that of 'retail decision making'. also, it gives retail the imporatnce that it deserves- that of creating value for all the stakeholders. So if you want to learn it the right way, go with it.

No comments: